Friday, April 6, 2007

eNgiNEer'S aT tHE hELm

One of the funniest things you will ever see , is a bunch of techies in a Management or a Strategy course.
What typically happens ? is a whole lot of what I call Homer Simpson moments ....

Prof : So when we consider the real options versus the discounted cash flows , its pretty clear what R&D capabilities the company must invest in to maximize the return rate versus the risk.
Me : It is ?
Prof : So, analyzing the numbers given at the end of the case, what do you think the Strategy of the company should be ?
Class : Eh what ?

Prof : If you were the CEO of X , what would you do ?
Me : Cash in my stock options and retire ?

you get the idea ....
every class , week after week ... btw its the only early class I got<9:30 ppl !!> .. I go there stare blankly at the unfeeling smart board. and try to figure out ....what's going on in my life.
Invariably after about an hour of listening to the lecture , my mind starts to wander (so what else is knew) and I start thinking "How the F*** did I land here ?" , "Where am I headed" , "What the heck is going on in my life ??".

As we discuss the profitability , return to sales , risk on investment ,etc, etc , I can only focus on one other thing.
What I'm gonna have for lunch.

Am in class now, and it has not made one iota of difference that instead of listening to the Prof, I spent the last half hour writing this blog.

Prof : Can you describe the prevelant situation in the global microwave industry with respect to market segmentation and technology.
Me : I cannot , but I do not have lower self-esteem bcoz of this. So what if I don't know anything bout what's going on ? I condemn this pursuit of useless knowledge, what is really important in life is the REAL world outside. The birds, the flowers.... < have been thrown out of class >

1 comment:

  1. woman, u are hilarious to teh core.. n i absolutely relate to u.

    'can we b friends' ll be too corny n i dont think u ll b interested either.
    keep writing.. n i ll keep enjoying.

    may b at the end u can create a book out of it all like anne frank's diary n then u'd know who to thank to :P.. the miss anon. xox :)

    ReplyDelete